A parlour song by Stephen Foster dating from 1854 and whilst it has become a favourite, the song was not a commercial success and hardly known in Foster's own lifetime. A version by the violinist Heifetz became very popular in the 1940's. The musical arrangement retains the harmonic outline of Stephen Foster's song although some of the rhythmic detail of the melody has been edited. The small ornamental notes, apart from the acciaccaturas (crushed notes), in the melody line of the arrangement are optional and do not sound in the realisation. Individual instrument parts are appended to the full score and bass could be either an electric or acoustic instrument.